I knew I wanted to put a runner in the upstairs hallway since I ripped up the carpet, but when I went looking at all my usual haunts I was left disappointed. I couldn’t find one long enough, or in the right colors, or at the right price. The best one I found was quite nice at TJ Maxx, but at $50 I decided against it.

Instead of buying something, I wanted to challenge myself to make one from supplies I already had on hand.

Here’s what I used:

• Drop cloth
  • A roll of cabinet liner (looks like a carpet pad)
  • Acrylic paints leftover from various projects
  • Stencil
  • Paint brush

First I cut my runner to size to match the cabinet liner, which was about 21 inches by 6 ft and hemmed the unfinished edges. I got out my Casablanca stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils and laid it out.

I decided to just go straight down the middle and fill in the edges later on. I mixed up a grayish color, a sea foam color, and an ivory and painted them randomly.

Check out my foot in the corner there haha. I got to the very end, but ran out of paint before I could do the border so I had to pick up a tube of “coffee bean” to finish things off. After everything was dry, I sanded the painted areas to give it a bit of a distressed/casual look. I’m not planning on putting a top coat on because I want it to wear a bit more. I’ll probably wash it a few times also. Right now it’s just laying on top of the liner which is working fine, but I may end up tacking it down with some fabric glue.

Here’s the runner now in our new hallway. Everything is really coming together in there now!

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since it only cost me $4 :)

Pssst…wondering what’s up with the floor? Click here to read about it.

*****Linked Up******

49 Responses

1. Michelle

Oh my this is gorgeous! I am so jealous you have the casablanca stencil. I want it soooo bad. I just need to order it. I don’t know if you know this already but Ucreate’s craft of the month is stenciled rugs. You should submit this. I bet it would be featured :)

2. Katy L.

You are wicked awesome! I can’t believe how amazing that looks! Very nice Rachael!

3. Deneen

This came out great and I love the shapes and colors! I am now your newest follower!
    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

4. Kayla

Wow! I never would’ve guessed that you used drop cloth and acrylic paint! It looks fantastic, like something you’d pay high dollar for. Just FaBuLoUs!!!

5. Ashley @ DesignBuildLove.co

TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!! As always, I love your use of the dropcloth. You are officially the “dropcloth queen”! :)

The colors are awesome and so is the design. I’m working on a cheap decor project from mostly “on-hand” items… can’t wait to share too! :)

6. Ashleigh@SincerelyCo

I never would have thought you could make a rug out of drop cloth! That’s awesome. I can never find exactly what I want either so this would be perfect!

Thanks for sharing :)

7. Sandy

I think you solved my problem… at the landing of my staircase. I also removed the carpet and put treads on each step.. but can not find a rug for the landing… I’m going to give this a try!
    Yours turned out wonderful.. great job!
    Sandy

8. Jaclyn

Heading over from Tatertots and Jello – Love your rug! And for such a great price!!! I will have to see if I can do this too! I dont have any of the supplies outside of paint right now. =/

• Lovely Crafty Home

Thank you for stopping by Jaclyn! Even if you had to buy everything, I still think it would be cheaper :)