What happens when you find some ugly taxidermy-ish pieces at Goodwill for $3.50?

Good grief that is scary. I also found these:

Now the bear was only $1, so he was a gamble. I figured I’d try a coat of glossy white spray paint, and if it still looked scary I’d toss him out. But the horse book ends…oh yes, I knew those would be beauties. I paid $2.50 for the pair. One of them had a broken ear which I planned on fixing with a piece of clay (molded, then baked, then glued on), but ultimately I decided you really couldn’t tell once they’re on a shelf (translation: too lazy to get some Sculpey from A.C. Moore). Instead of my usual Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze (gasp!), I picked up a can of Rustoleum Hammered Aged Iron. ORB has a shimmer to it that I thought would look a bit cheap on my cheap bookends- like they had been painted. I wanted them to look like they were really iron (and, you know, cost mucho $$$). You tell me what you think.

I have a special place for them in progress :)

Oh and the bear? He’s up in the always-in-progress stairwell gallery.

Yes that’s an empty frame next to him.

He’s not too creepy now, but I’m still not sure how I feel about him. Now if only I could find a pair of antlers…

7 Responses

  1. Sandy Walters

    I can’t believe how great they came out! You have such vision and just know what products to use..I actually love the bear !

  2. Rachel

    I totally agree, the bear was creepy before. The after, however I am totally digging! It turned out fabulous and makes a perfect fit onto your picture wall. I say keep him there! :)

  3. Brook @ BeingBrook

    Oh my goodness the bear was way creepy before! Both projects look great. I’ve been trying to find horse bookends for one of my kids. Yours are fabulous and such a great deal. The only ones I’ve found were at an antique place and they wanted $70!

  4. Aged Metallic Faux Finish

    [...] After the paint/glaze was completely dry (like, overnight-which is hard for an impatient person like myself), I used a mini trim roller to roll on 6 coats of satin Mod Podge, sanding with 400 grit in between each coat. Because of the built up finish, the table feels quite smooth despite it’s appearance. I also sanded and sprayed the legs with Rustoleum “Aged Iron” (like I did on my bookends). [...]


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.